Tuesday, January 27, 2009

O WILLIAM



138

William Shakespeare

When my love swears that she is made of truth
I do believe her, though I know she lies,
That she might think me some untutor'd youth,
Unlearned in the world's false subtleties.
Thus vainly thinking that she thinks me young,
Although she knows my days are past the best,
Simply I credit her false speaking tongue:
But wherefore says she not she is unjust?
And wherefore say not I that I am old?
O, love's best habit is in seeming trust,
And age in love loves not to have years told:
Therefore I lie with her and she with me,
And in our faults by lies we flatter'd be.

138

Quando meu amor jura dizer a verdade
Creio nela, ainda quando sei que mente,
Prendendo-a na crença da minha juventude,
E de que não aprendi a falsidade reinante.
Assim é inútil que ela me pense imaturo,
Ainda se sabe que já passaram meus melhores dias.
Somente crédito à língua sua fala falsa, juro,
Mas, sabemos que suas intenções são pias.
Porém, por que não me diz que envelheci?
E por que não lhe digo que velho estou?
Oh! O amor melhor vive na confiança em si,
E o tempo e o amor não tem mesmo idade:
Portanto ela mente e eu mentindo vou,
E nossas mentiras se tornam verdades.

No comments: