Friday, June 20, 2008

AINDA O SOBERBO WILLIAM

76

William Skakespeare

Why is my verse so barren of new pride,
So far from variation or quick change?
Why with the time do I not glance aside
To new-found methods and to compounds strange?
Why write I still all one, ever the same,
And keep invention in a noted weed,
That every word doth almost tell my name,
Showing their birth and where they did proceed?
O, know, sweet love, I always write of you,
And you and love are still my argument;
So all my best is dressing old words new,
Spending again what is already spent:
For as the sun is daily new and old,
So is my love still telling what is told.
76
Por que o meu verso é tão estéril, tão sem brilho,
Tão sem variações ou rápidos ritmos?
Por que com o tempo não combina o estribilho
E aos novos métodos parecem versos estranhos?
Por que escrevo sempre o mesmo, sempre igual
E mantenho na invenção a mesma roupa,
De modo que cada palavra é tal e qual,
Exibindo na origem a inspiração tão pouca?
Oh! Doce amor, sabes que és sempre o meu tema,
E és, com o meu amor, o meu único argumento;
De forma que fazer do velho, novo é o estratagema,
Que me faz repetir de novo o que sempre fiz:
Pois, como sol, é diariamente novo e velho, tento,
Assim com o meu amor se repetindo ser feliz.

No comments: